During the Arpadian Age, three villages existed within the present village boundaries, all of which became uninhabited by the end of the sixteenth century as a result of first the Mongol invasion and later the devastation brought by the Turks. The surviving population sought refuge in a new settlement near the salt lake: today this is known as Újfehértó. The name comes from the soda lakes (fehér = white, tó = lake) and was first recorded in 1608. In 1630 Pál Rákóczi, the Lord Chief Justice,... tovább settled Serb Haiduks (foot soldiers in the service of Bocskay in the seventeenth century wars of liberation) from Hajdúböszörmény on his lands in the village. Around this time the Greek Church was established here, the present Church being an amalgamation of the old Slav Church and the more recent Rumanian arrival. The current building was established in 1832. The Reformed Church, on which can be seen Renaissance decoration, was erected in 1754; its neo-baroque tower was finished in the 1820s. Since 1767 the settlement has had a Roman Catholic Church, which was erected in 1812. In 1995 a museum complex was opened.
Please share your experiences about this settlement!