The highly populated settlement is located at the eastern part of the Zempénimountains on the famous Hegyalja wine-growing region. The village lies in the widening valley of Tolcsva-creek, surrounded by hills that are covered with vineyards. In the early Middle Ages it was called Tolcsvatõ and a castle, which had totally been destroyed, was standing at the outskirts of the village. Its medieval church was built around 1280 and was mentioned in the papal tithe register of 1332. Later - in... tovább 1809 -, for a short period of time, the Hungarian Crown was hidden and guarded here fearing Napóleon. Gold and silver were mined in the nearby mountains during the Middle Ages. The settlement paid tribute to the Turkish, still they destroyed it in 1680. The Greek Catholic church was built in 1760, the present Reformed church in 1830, and a synagogue was built in 1865. Lórántffy Zsuzsanna built the mansion, which is now known as "Királyudvar", and functions as a guesthouse, in early Baroque style in the middle of the 17th century. Using the money that came from wine-trade, during the 17th and 18th centuries several mansions were built in the flourishing settlement: the Baroque Bónis-Dessewffy mansion, the Szirmai mansion which was restructured several times, the classicist Kurucz- and Waldbott houses. Tokaji wine is bottled in large scale in the settlement. The wine museum can only be visited after acquiring a prior permission. Mayor's office: Szabadság sq 16. Tel: +36 47 384-217
Please share your experiences about this settlement!