Megközelíthető: 22 Szécsény in situated in the northern part of Hungary, in the valley of Ipoly. In the first thousand years A.D. ethnical groups, like Germans and Slavs appeared in this area. According to the findings, the Hungarians owned the territory before the arrival of the main troops. Szécsény was first mentioned in a document in 1219. The boom of the settlement took place in the first half of the 14th century, when it became a market town and the centre of the surrounding settlements.... tovább In 1332, Tamás Szécsényi received the permission from Pope John XII to build a Franciscan cloister. Róbert Károly gave city title to Szécsény in 1334. Then the church, the cloister, and the castle were built. In 1552, the Turks occupied the city. After many unsuccesful attempts, the Hungarian troops recaptured the city, which is also important because of the mining towns in Upper Hungary. The Turks occupied the city again in 1663. Finally, in 1683 the troops of the Polish king János Sobieski, who travelled home from Wien, liberated it. Later plague broke out, and the city almost emptied. The initiators of repopulating were the Franciscans, who sent into the city among others János Bárkányi, the educator of Ferenc Rákóczi II. In 1705, Ferenc Rákóczi II convoked the Parliament here in Borjúpást, and he was proclaimed leader monarch. The union of the mother country and Transylvania was proclaimed. In the plans of the monarch, Szécsény had an important role; it became strategic centre, it was the connection between north and south, and east and west. While Szécsény was the centre of the troops, the valley of Ipoly was the passing way of them. At the and of the 18th century, almost the whole city burnt down. After the failure of the war of independence in 1848, the Kaiser’s troops occupied it. In 1886, it lost the city title. At the beginning of the century, vivid intellectual life was characteristic for the settlement. The World War II caused big losses. After the war, the city’s administrative role decreased, however its city image developed a lot. It received the city title again in 1986. Since then it has been a city, the most important cultural and tourist centre of the area. Most of the sights of Szécsény can be found in the historic city centre, in the place of the sometime castle and around it: a fortress on the sometime terrace of the Ipoly River, which was mentioned in a document in 1461. Parts of the wall, the northwestern tower (lookout tower), and the eastern tower, or Rondella remained of the gothic castle, which was fortified with towers, moats, and pales. There can be found an exhibition of the castle’s history in the eastern tower, or Rondella. In the northwestern part of the castle district stands the Franciscan church and cloister, which was started to build by the pope’s permission in 1332. The most voluable part is the vaulted vestry, which is a prominent work of our gothic architecture. The baroque nave was built in 1696; the abbey with the vaulted cloister was built between 1694 and 1734. One of the most spectacular buildings of Szécsény, the Forgách castle can be found in the near. It is a valuable memory of the Hungarian provincial baroque architecture; the Ferenc Kubinyi Museum has been working here since 1973. The Fire tower was erected on the main square. The fire-service worked once in the building. The third floor was built in 1929. Because of the sub grade’s shift, the building moved northward. In 2004, an exhibition of the Fire tower’s history and of the fire-service was opened in the building. From the floors, there is an excellent view of the city. The Holy Trinity statue was put up at the end of the plague epidemic. The pharmacy, which was named after the statue, is the oldest pharmacy in Nógrád County; it dates back to the 18th century. The artisans’ house, and the tourinform office, which was opened in 2005, can be found in front of the eastern tower. The tourinform office is downstairs in the 200 nm building of European standard. The products of rural artisans of Palócföld are also exhibited and they can be bought. Upstairs the 50-seater conference room offers ideal place for professional programmes. Besides these, exhibitions take place monthly. The Tourinform Office offers holistic information about the sights and accomodations of Hungary.
Please share your experiences about this settlement!