Tourism of Nyíregyháza
Nyíregyháza is a lively town with a pleasant atmosphere. Parks, squares, large green areas, a harmonic unity of historic and modern buildings constitute the cityscape. Despite the accelerated pace of modern life, the town has been able to preserve a lot of its original cozy atmosphere. The Kállay Collection is located in Széchenyi Street. It consists of a library of ten thousand volumes, a collection of historic photographs, documents, and the correspondence of Count Miklós Kállay, former Prime... tovább Minister of Hungary. The collection of awards and medals of Baron Gábor Apor and the manuscripts of author Ferenc Ilosvay also belong to the core of the collection. A wall full of relics is devoted to the Kállays, a memorial exhibition of Ferenc Ilosvay, and exhibition of the Maltese Order, and a faleristic exhibition (memorial coins, military and other medals etc.) are permanently on display. The impressive neo-classical building at Benczúr Square is András Jósa Museum, named after the famous scientist and person of encyclopaedic learning. The museum contains a rich collection of relics from the town and the county. The permanent exhibitions include the memorial exhibitions of András Jósa, founder of the museum, painter Gyula Benczúr, a native of Nyíregyháza, an exhibition of the life and age of author Gyula Krúdy, also a native of the town, and the exhibition of the Hussars of Nyíregyháza. The collections of objects from the iron and bronze ages and the numismatic collection of the museum are also noteworthy. The collection of religious artifacts of the Greek Catholic Church is also one of the cherished treasures of the town. The collection was established in 1983 in order to reveal, scientifically process and preserve the heritage of the Greek Catholic Church. 17th-18th century iconostases, carvings, and objects of the liturgy from the 16th century to the 19th are on display at their permanent exhibition. The collection offers a view into one of the highly valuable but not very well known chapter of the meta-Byzantine culture of north-eastern Hungary. The building of the Town Gallery is in Selyem Street. It was formerly the house of a wealthy burgher of the town, converted into gallery in 1988. Now the building hosts the collection of the Nyíregyháza-Sóstó Medalists and Small Sculpure Makers. At the periodical exhibitions the works of contemporary artists are on display. This is also the place where the young artists of Nyíregyháza introduce themselves by exhibiting their works for the first time. The Village Museum was opened in 1979. It is located at Sóstófürdő, a spa famous for its thermal water of medicinal effect. Some of the most beautiful pieces of the rural architecture of Szabolcs-Szatmár-Bereg County are found here, and the buildings are arranged according to the various geographical regions: Nyírség, Szatmár and Bereg, Rétköz and Nyír-Mezőség. The largest of these regions is the Nyírség with its gentle sand hills. The architecture of this area is closely connected to that of the Plains. The Village Museum does not only contain dwelling houses, but also a school, a general store, pub, and fire station. In the summertime a wide variety of colourful programs attract visitors to the village museum. The ancient church, brought here from the village of Kisdobrony, is the venue of concerts from the end of May till the end of August. On Sunday mornings there are Protestant services in the church. The Greek Catholic Church of Bethlen Gábor Street is a building constructed in mixed Byzantine style. The church, designed by Bertalan Vojtovits and built by Bertalan Vojtovits and Mihály Barzó, has two towers. The foundation stone was laid down in 1895, and construction soon began. It was, however, only completed in the summer of 1897 as the builders were struggling with financial difficulties. The church was consecrated in the same year. In 1945 a bomb hit the church, and the help of the government was needed for the restoration. A highly ornamented iconostasis is found in the church, the patron saint of which is St. Nicholas. The Roman Catholic Church, which is an Associate Cathedral, is located in Kossuth Square, the central point of the town. The church has been an Episcopal cathedral since 1994. The most beautiful part of the church is the impressive transept, with the figures of the four evangelists in the bays of the arches. The building is often compared to the Dome of Szeged, although the Nyíregyháza church had been built earlier. It was designed by Virgil Nagy, and Dr. József Samassa, Archbishop of Eger, gave the church to the community of Nyíregyháza to commemorate his 50th anniversary as a priest in 1902. The church was constructed in 1902-1904. The Archbishop, who was a great patriot, wished to follow the church building traditions of the first Royal House of Hungary, the Árpáds, by building the church in Romanesque style. The Protestant church, constructed in 1873-1882 in Romantic style, stands in Kálvin Square. There are references to a church that used to stand in this place as early as 1347. This was a property of the Báthory family of Ecsed for three hundred years. The new church, designed by János Mehlhouse, was consecrated on 3 July 1883. The east-west oriented church has a 38 m tower on its eastern facade. There are eight hundred seats inside the church, and the organ was built by István Kerékgyártó. The building is the venue of wonderful concerts in the summer. One of the most valuable historic buildings of Nyíregyháza is the Lutheran church, an important location of the musical life of the town. Orchestral, choire and organ concerts are organized here regularly all through the year. The church is more than a building – it is a part of the history of the town. It is a product of Emperor Joseph II's so-called Act of Tolerance, as indicated by the Latin inscription above the entrance of the sacristy on the eastern side. It took two years to construct the church, from 1784 to 1786. The architect was Giuseppe Aprilis. The facade and the whole exterior of the church was, according to the resolution of the Council of Governor, puritan, with no ornamentations. The puritan exterior was somewhat modified during the 1885-86 renovation. The powerful supporting projections along the sides make the exterior of the church less monotonous, and the windows are decorated with neo-Renaissance and neo-Baroque ornamentations. The interior of the Lutheran church is impressive. The internal walls are decorated with paintings imitating plaster-work of Louis XVI style. The main altar was originally in the Greek Catholic church of Máriapócs. The altar, constructed in Baroque and Rococo styles, is richly ornamented with carvings. A valuable and beautiful building of the town is the orthodox synagogue, constructed between 1924 and 1932 according to the plans of Lipót Baumhorn. Entering the synagogue we find the elevated place where the Tora is read, in front of us is the eastern wall, and in the middle is the Ark of the Covenant, surrounded with columns, where the Tora is kept. The Ark is separated from the rest of the synagogue by a curtain. The paintings on the walls and the ceiling do not depict figures but the symbols of the tribes, constellations, Biblical scenes and religious symbols of the Jewish people. The murals were painted by Pál Z. Szalay, an artist and teacher of Nyíregyháza.