Roman Catholic Franciscan Church and Monastery
||Roman Catholic Franciscan Church and Monastery
||Sights / religious building
||5100 Jászberény, Ferencesek tere 3.
The Franciscan priests played an important role in the evangelising the Jazygian people. They started to build the church and the monastery in 1460, then in 1472 the Franciscans took possession of the buildings. After 1526 the Turkish ransached and burnt them. In 1586 the church and the monastery were turned into a palisaded fortress. In 1723 its plans were done by the Italian achitect Giovanni Battista Carlone, who had been working in Eger. By 1755 its eastern and western wings had been finished as weel as the dining hall, which is splendid even today.
It was built in 1472.
The picture on the main altar was painted by Endre Holló, the frescos were done by Albin Steffek.
|Opening period:||January 1. - December 31.|
|Opening hours:||In order of messes, all year.|
|Open to visitors:||by booking|
|Function:||in its original function|
Reviews and ratings
Other nearby tourist destinations