The building of the Town Hall
||The building of the Town Hall
||Sights / secular public building
||6800 Hódmezővásárhely, Kossuth tér 1.
The old town hall was built in the early 19th century, but that building proved to be too small for the continuously growing administrative offices, because of the newly gained municipal rights of the town (1873). The competition for making the plans of the new town hall was announced in 1890, and the first prize was awarded to Lajos Ybl (1855-1934). The ceremonial deposition of the foundation stones took place on 12 April 1892, and the Town Hall was opened for the public on 18 January 1894 by an honorary session of the town’s general assembly. The tower bell was made by the Budapest firm named Walser.
The House was built in eclectic style, with some historical elements that summon the renaissance age. Triangle-shaped and arch type windowsills, rococo style strings, balustrade and rustic ornaments decorate the frontal façade.
The steeple caught fire and seriously damaged on 4 September 1970, after all these on 4 March 1971 even the roofing burnt out. The damaged bell was placed on the square, and the new one was made by Lajos Gombos, bell founder master from Őrbottyán.
In the atrium there are a few guiding marble boards to let the visitor know the exact date of the creation of this architectural masterpiece and the respective names of the reigning king, prime minister, lord lieutenant and the mayor responsible for the building. The leading architect, Lajos Ybl also has his own marble board.
At the turn of the main entrance staircase stands the statue of the Wooden Soldier created by János Pásztor, above the artwork there are three windows made of leaded crystal. The furniture of the saloon was made by the Dózsa brothers, on its walls six monumental paintings commemorate great figures of Hungarian history, such as Miklós Bercsényi, Ferenc Deák, Queen Elizabeth, King Franz Josef, Lajos Kossuth and Ferenc Rákóczi.
|Opening period:||January 1. - December 31.|
|Opening hours:||Mon-Thu: 7.30 a.m. - 4.00 p.m.; Fri: 7.30 a.m. - 1.30 p.m.|
|Open to visitors:||during opening hours|
|Door money:||it is free|
|Architectural style:||eclectic, Renaissance|
|Function:||in its original function|
Reviews and ratings
Other nearby tourist destinations
fortress, castle, palace, mansion
Andássy út 13.