Berkenye is a little village that is located at the South-East part of the Börzsöny hills. In 1717 the owner of the area, the Bishop of Vác, had the area populated by settlers that came from Franconia in Germany. The German name of the village is called Berkina. The first language of the majority of the inhabitants of the village is still German. One of the village’s most famous monuments is the Roman Catholic parish church that was built in 1777 with the support of Kristóf Migazzi, the Bishop... tovább of Vác. It was built in the Kopf style and has an artistically painted altar-piece. The Stations of the Cross that are located on the little hill in the Northern part of the village are famously beautiful. Berkenye is also the “village of crucifixes.” There are altogether 18 crucifixes in the village. The parish hall was established with joint community efforts and gives a home to an ethnic museum that portrays the olden days Schwabian (German) lifestyle and culture. The visitors of the village are always fascinated by the pathway of flowers along the roadway that decorate the village throughout the year. Berkenye’s Szent Anna Fogadó (Saint Anne’s Inn), is stylistically furnished in Tyrolean style, and has a most friendly atmosphere and it awaits its customers with a pleasant little garden area. The guesthouse provides families and groups of friends and companies the possibility of organising various events such as conferences and it also provides accommodation for people who would like to stay there in the guest house. Polgármesteri Hivatal: Kossuth u. 20., Tel/Fax: 35/362-321
Please share your experiences about this settlement!