The settlement, currently counting 174 residents, has been inhabited since Roman Times. Records from the Middle Ages put it as a property of the Abbey of Tihany and in 1092 it was mentioned among the ancient settlements. The village has had a church since as early as the 1200’s and has also long been a village with a mill - charters from the Árpád-dynasty mention the watermill of Örvényes. The stream Pécsely, falling into Lake Balaton, operated four watermills. One of these, built in the18th... tovább century in rustic style, is currently on view in its scenic location with all its inner equipment still intact. The small miller's room inside houses an exhibition on ethnology and folk craft. Also a scheduled monument is the two-arch stone bridge, built in the 18th century in baroque style and adorned by the statue of St John of Nepomuk. The deserted village was resettled in 1733 with German families from Rhineland Palatinate. Viniculture and wine trade provided a livelihood for the populace, something that is to this day characteristic for the village. Its open and free beach attracts many visitors to the intimate little village.
Please share your experiences about this settlement!